v4.1 (17th June 2012)
- Updated to Geocaching Live v6
- Added support for corrected coordinates
- More robust authorization process
- Minor bug fixes
v4.0.16 (6th October 2011)
- Fixed timezone conversion & display issues for logs and field notes, all now match
up correctly with the dates displayed on geocaching.com.
- Fixed bug in photo upload code, also now displays pending/upload information for
photos listed on the field notes screen. Fixed issue with multi-line descriptions.
- improvements to trackable logging, also tracking number no longer required for Dropped
or Visited logs (unless manual entry).
- Fixed mini compass display issue (N/NE were displaying NW).
- Improved performance in patchy coverage areas, less load on the phone when coverage
is restored with pending logs or uploads.
v4.0.11 (9th August 2011)
- Fixed bug causing dramatic slowdown in some circumstances.
- Added support for 6 new cache attributes (partnership, seasonal, tourist friendly,
tree climbing, front yard , teamwork).
- Automatically adds new log to the database when publishing field note.
- Miscellaneous fixes and improvements.
v4.0.09 (2nd August 2011)
- CacheSense 4 released
- Powered by Geocaching Live
v3.6 (21st January 2011)
- Updated to support new geocaching.com LOC format (now imports cache size, difficulty
and terrain in addition to coordinates and URL).
- Added support for 13 additional geocache attributes.
- Fixed issue where CacheSense would not open if no SD Card present on some devices.
- Fixed “Application not responding” error when moving tagged caches to another database.
v3.5 (2nd January 2011)
- Fix for Nearest Cache “Search geocaching.com” option.
- Revamped the user interface, now has a cleaner more modern look and sliding screen
transitions (OS 5.0 and above), you can change the background color via Options
| Skin, you can type hex codes in here or set the RGB values, you can get hex codes
from any online color picker, eg. www.colorpicker.com.
- Improved field notes list, now displays multi-line summaries including photo thumbnails.
- New “Menu Designer” (Options | Menu Designer) allows you to customize menus by adding
or removing items and adjusting their position, you can also add and remove menu
separators. Menus for the main list, details, field notes, compass and radar screens
can be edited. There is a “Reset” menu option to return the menu to factory default.
- Added keyboard shortcuts to main screens (main list, details, field notes, compass
and radar). Use the “Help” menu on each of these screens to view the shortcuts.
This should be a major time saver for those of you with keyboard phones, for instance
you can now log a cache by typing L (field notes) then N (new field note). The Find
function on the main screen must now be initiated via ‘F’ or ‘G’ (or by moving focus
to the find field via touch or trackball).
- Improved photo browser, this is now very much faster as it pulls thumbnails from
system cache, images are now sorted to display most recent first which should be
another time saver.
- Direct camera control, you can now select between direct camera control from within
CacheSense or using the BlackBerry Camera App. New options (Options | Photo Options)
allow you to specify type of camera control (or prompt) and to set specific size
and quality parameters for the direct control option. Quality settings are not available
on all phones.
- New Facebook photo upload. Upload any photo to Facebook, allows you to select an
album (creates a “CacheSense” album if you don’t have any defined in FB). Photos
are automatically resized to 604 pixels on the long side (same as FB app) and converted
to 80% JPEG.
- new static map on details view, this is a non-interactive map (may add interactivity
in a future version), uses BB Maps which is vector based so uses a very small amount
of data which is included in the BB data plan and the maps are cached by the OS.
These are intended as just a quick location preview, if you need a larger interactive
map then use the normal BB or Google Maps options ( B or G for those with keyboards).
You can disable this feature via Options | Map.
- Includes latest German translation (thanks again to jonny-blue!)
- Moved the personal trackable inventory from Options to the main screen menu, now
called “My Trackables”.
- Added additional code to ensure GPS is stopped when exiting CacheSense, this may
help those who were experiencing greater battery usage with the last release.
- Added an option to hide and disable all GPS functionality (for phones like the 8520).
Automatically detects 8520 and Verizon 8130,8330 and prompts user. Options | GPS.
Known Issues on Leaked OS6
- The Browser plugin that allows CacheSense to download GPX and LOC files direct from
geocaching.com web pages does not work, instead it will download the file to your
SD Card where you can import it using the “Import GPX/LOC” function.
- The GPS “Fast Start” option causes random hanging. Do not use this option with the
current leaked OS 6.0.
- The first time you use the “CacheSense Camera” function and answer the permissions
prompt (make sure you tick “Don’t ask again”) the phone will be stuck in the camera
screen and require a battery pull.
v3.1 (20th September 2010)
- Facebook integration. New feature allows you to automatically update your Facebook
status using Found, DNF or generic templates (just like the Twitter function). You
need to authorize CacheSense (one time) via the Authorize button, this process is
browser-based, secure and does not reveal your Facebook password to CacheSense.
(Options | Facebook).
- New “Update Facebook” function on the field notes screen menu. This feature lets
you post a single Facebook status update with an associated comment that combines
all geocaching activity since a given date (in a similar manner to the email/export
field notes functions). Option to include DNFs. Option to include full field note
text or just the template text.
- Added “Notify on failure” options to Twitter and Facebook, if enabled you will be
notified and given the option to retry if an update to either service fails for
any reason. (Options | Facebook and Options |Twitter).
- Added new code to handle Internet connections, new Internet options allow you to
select “Auto” or to specify a connection type. This change means CacheSense will
choose the best (least cost) connection available rather than forcing the Direct
TCP/IP (APN) mode. (Options | Internet).
- OS 5.0 and OS 6.0, CacheSense now uses the improved GPS API introduced in OS 5.0,
this should result in generally quicker fixes and possibly better battery life.
While the new API seems to work very well for most users there is a new GPS option
to revert to the old code in case of problems. (Options | GPS).
- New improved GPS fix dialogs (used for location sort, add waypoint and nearest caches).
OS 4.2 thru OS 4.7 has same functionality but improved visually. OS 5.0+ displays
real-time individual satellite position and signal quality.
- Added Waypoint Projection to manual coordinate entry dialog.
- Added State/Province column for summary and column views.
- German Translation. Thanks to the hard work of user Jonny-blue, CacheSense is now
available in German (will switch automatically based on your phone’s language settings).
- Fixed ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException when adding a child waypoint (caused by having
other child waypoints with short names).
- Fixed blank or partial screen when refreshing (or clearing tags etc) while the cache
list is scrolled beyond the first screen.
- Fixed empty cache list when sorting by GPS location and clicking OK before fix obtained.
- Fixed filtering on GSAK User Sort (was treating as Boolean rather than an integer
- Fixed filtering on GSAK User Flag.
- Fixed failed or partial upload of field notes to geocaching.com. Caused by code
exporting Memos as field notes.
- Fixed failure when editing some existing custom filters.
- Fixed refresh of child waypoint list after adding new child waypoint.
- Fixed row height issues in summary and nearest cache views. Increased font size
in nearest cache list.
v3.0.5 (19th July 2010)
- Fixed a problem when saving General Options.
- Fixed compass on Pearl Flip devices.
- Fixed bug causing blank sceen and/or incorrect list when modifying filters while
cache list is sorted.
- Made it easier to click into quick log message field for Storm users.
- Fixed issues when switching between compass and field notes on Storm devices.
- Fixed issues with date filters.
- Fixed problem with difficulty/terrain filters pre OS 4.6, also fixed crash on first
time filter access pre OS 4.6.
- CacheSense no longer creates duplicate databases when saving changes to existing
v3.0 (16th July 2010)
- CacheBerry renamed to CacheSense! Same application, same developer
just a new name. Registrations are not affected.
- Nearest Cache function. CacheBerry has a new Nearest Cache function on the main
menu. This function uses a spatial index for instant results, options include location
source (GPS, Manual, Saved or Selected Cache), distance to search, number of caches
to display, option to include found caches and option to search geocaching.com.
The geocaching.com option automatically parses the results of a search at gc.com
(with express permission from GroundSpeak) and includes any caches within the search
distance that are not present in your database, clicking on one of these items opens
the webpage for the cache, clicking the GPX or LOC button seamlessly imports the
cache and opens the cache details in CacheBerry. Note: because we cannot (currently)
log in when querying gc.com the results may include found caches, this function
is probably most useful for new geocachers or when caching in a new area. Note:
there is no tag function on the nearest cache list, the mapping options automatically
show all items (except geocaching.com links). The “Find Next” functions on the compass
and radar also use the new index and now open instantly.
- My Waypoints. You can now create and maintain top-level waypoints via the “My Waypoints”
menu option. This is a first cut at this feature so do let me know what additional
functionality would be useful. Waypoints are independent of the active database
(they are included in the backup/restore function), the list is sorted with most
recent waypoints first. You can add memos and photos to waypoints and use the compass,
radar and mapping functions.
- Custom Filters. There is a new “Custom Filter” feature which allows you to create
and edit named filters using simple or complex, nested expressions. This feature
is accessed via the “Filter...” menu option on the main screen.
- New Filter and sort indicators. There is a now a “filter bar” at the top of the
screen which shows which filtering and/or sort options are currently in effect.
The status bar at the bottom show the number of items present in a filtered cache
- Custom Sort. New “Custom Sort” feature lets you create and edit named sort orders
using multiple fields and ascending/descending modifiers. The initial Sort dialog
is different, removed the “Sort by Name” option (which is the default setting when
not explicitly sorted) and the “User Sort” button and added a “Clear” button. A
sample custom sort (“GSAK User Sort”) is automatically created.
- Added a “Tag All” function to the main menu. This function tags all caches that
are visible with the active filter settings.
- Changed Twitter functions to use the OAuth authentication method. Twitter is switching
off Basic Authentication in August. OAuth is more secure and CacheBerry no longer
stores your Twitter password. If you are already using the Twitter function you
don’t need to do anything, CacheBerry will convert your stored credentials to OAuth
(and discard your password) automatically.
- Fixed several issue when importing LOC files. The “Add Waypoint” menu option is
now enabled for caches from LOC files and you can now import waymarks from LOC files.
- Indexes and statistics are now stored in databases, this means when opening a database
CacheBerry no longer has to sort or calculate stats. Existing databases will be
updated when you save them
- Fixed several Compass Designer bugs. Miscellaneous bug fixes.
v2.6 (2nd June 2010)
- Note: the backup format has changed with this build so if you
are using the Backup/Restore feature please create a backup before upgrading. Backups
created with version 2.6 are not compatible with earlier versions.
- Summary View. You can now select "Summary View" or "Column View"
from the main menu. Each view can be independently configured via the "Columns..."
menu option. In the summary view the presence of additional waypoints is indicated
by a blue "W" icon, select "Waypoints..." from the menu to view,
add, edit or delete waypoints. The column view still uses the "Expand"
method as before.
- Photo attachments. You can now attach photos to caches via the field notes screen.
Select "Add Photo" from the menu and choose "Browse" or "Camera".
If you select Camera then the camera application is invoked, take your photo then
escape back to CacheBerry and enter a caption and description. When viewing or editing
an attached photo you can click on the thumbnail or select "Full Screen..."
from the menu to preview the image. Check out the photo management options under
"Options" from the main menu. When emailing field notes the email will
include the full device path and caption/description of each photo. When exporting
field notes a separate pictures.txt file is created with the photo details.
- New Compass graphics for OS 4.6 or better. Added advanced compass options (Options
| GPS Compass) which allow you to experiment with fonts, sizes and colors for the
various compass display elements.
- Added "Quick Log" function to main menu, this opens a popup to allow you
to mark a cache found with one click. You can also optionally enter a comment or
select a different log type.
- Added a filter option to hide archived or disabled caches.
- Added Advanced GPS options (Options | GPS) to allow you to experiment with different
GPS fix criteria. If you are experiencing slow acquisition times or other problems
you may (or may not) find changing some of these settings helps.
- Fixed log sort order. Logs are now displayed in the correct order in the "Logs"
column. There is an auto upgrade procedure invoked the first time any given database
- Fixed bug which sometimes corrupted databases containing manual entry trackables.
- Fixed the title sort so it is no longer case-sensitive.
- Fixed the waypoint editor so the coordinates now update correctly once set.
- Added a "Save" menu option for new waypoints.
- Added the option for coordinate format (deg min or decimal) to the "Copy Location"
v2.5 (20th April 2010)
- New OS 4.6 build (support for native SVG).
- Compass implemented using native SVG (JSR226) for OS 4.6, OS 4.7 and OS 5.0 devices.
Custom themes may need some modifications to work with this build, send them to
me and I'll fix them for you. Native SVG appears to be 15-30x faster than the third-party
renderer that has been used until now, this additional speed will not only make
the compass more responsive but will enable more complex and attractive designs
in future. More to come on this including native Radar and other graphical improvements.
- New Trackables features. CacheBerry now maintains a personal inventory (Options
| Trackables). There is a new "Log Trackable..." function on the field notes screen;
this allows you to log retrieved, discovered, grabbed or dropped trackables. Select
from trackables in your inventory for "dropped" or trackables from the cache for
the other options. Also supports manual entry with an online lookup function. Trackable
logs are included in field note emails and exports. The field notes column now displays
a split note/trackable icon where there are trackable logs present. When picking
up a trackable it is removed from the cache's inventory and added to your personal
inventory and vice-versa when dropped.
- Added "Insert Smiley" function to the field note editor. This displays a graphical
chooser to insert mark-up for all supported emoticons.
- Added "Log Online.." function for field notes, this opens the browser at the log
page for the cache with the log type pre-selected and the field note text copied
to the clipboard ready to paste in.
- Improved memory management during import, not much speed difference but should use
- New Backup and Restore function (Options | Backup/Restore). Creates a full backup
of all settings, options, trackables, field notes, and caches. Handy when upgrading
your OS or replacing your phone. NOTE: Does not currently backup registration information.
- Added Attribute Support, now loads attributes from GPX 1.01 files and displays them
on the cache details screen. Note: to get GPX 1.01 files change your preference
at geocaching.com under "View your account details" on the "Your profile" page.
- Added GPX 1.1 support, CacheBerry can now import GPX 1.1 files.
- Added support for GSAK User Sort. CacheBerry now imports the UserSort flag from
GSAK generated GPX files. There is a new "Enable GSAK User Sort" option (Options
| General) that adds a "User Sort" button to the Sort dialog.
- Added DNF icon to "Found" column, DNF count to status bar. Supports GSAK DNF Flag.
- Google maps now shows caches as green marker and waypoints in blue. This will be
upgraded to display cache and waypoint type icons.
- Fixed bug that was preventing new logs from being appended to existing caches during
a merge import.
- Fixed bug causing menu to display when clicking on cache (some newer devices).
- Removed redundant dialog from email function.
- Fixed several instances of "pushModalScreen" error.
- Changed send code for SMS on CDMA OS 5.0 devices (SMS app invoke was broken in OS
50), now does a direct send.
- Fixed bug where waypoints were sometimes displayed as disabled caches.
- Fixed bugs preventing found icon showing and sometimes displaying duplicate caches.
- Fixed log date bug caused by timezone issues (especially near GMT).
- Fixed issue causing Google Maps KML transfer to fail sometimes.
- Fixed bug causing "About" screen to display incorrect geocache count when the main
list is sorted.
- Various other small fixes and enhancements.
v2.2 (15th Novemember 2009)
- Created a new version of CacheBerry for OS 5.0. This fixes the cache download via
the browser. Note there is a known issue with sending SMS messages on OS 5.0 which
may affect the TextMarks function for users on CDMA networks, waiting on RIM for
- New Twitter functions let you automatically send a customized Tweet on logging "Found
It" or "Didn"t Find It" or manually send a tweet at any time
from the details screen.
Under Options | Twitter you can select whether to send Tweets when logging Found
and/or DNF, you can specify whether you want to see a preview before sending (the
preview also allows you to edit the Tweet and shows characters remaining as your
You enter your Twitter username and password here also and you can check them using
the "Verify" button.
You can edit the templates for the Generic, Found and DNF tweets, templates can
contain special tags which are expanded as follows:
[GC_NAME] is expanded to the GC Name of the cache.
[TITLE] is expanded to the title of the cache, this value will be shortened if necessary
(with an ellipsis) to fit the tweet into 140 characters.
[URL] is expanded to the URL of the cache webpage using http://coord.info/GCXXXX
Click the respective "Preview.." buttons to see the template expanded with a random
v2.1.7 (26th August 2009)
- The big news in this release is the new Radar View. This view is ideal for searching
close to GZ when the compass becomes less accurate because you are no longer moving
steadily in one direction.
The Radar View shows a scaled target with the cache in the center, The top of the
screen is North, the cache is surrounded by a gray circle representing the current
accuracy of your GPS fix. Your movements in relation to the cache are shown as a
moving red dot with a fading trail that represents your previous positions. The
radar zooms automatically as you get closer to the cache.
The Radar has various settings including an "auto" option which allows
you to specify a distance at which the compass view automatically switches to the
- The titlebar in the Compass (and Radar) view now shows time and battery level.
- Added Waymarking support, now shows a waymark icon, modified details including the
waymark type and also can parse the long description out of the GPX where present.
- Fixed conversion to decimal on manual location dialog (also increased to 4 decimal
- Various minor bug fixes.
v2.1.0 (12th July 2009)
- Caches SVG components for quicker start-up of compass and GPS screens, especially
when switching between screens.
- Added a "Fast Start" option to the GPS Options. This keeps the GPS chipset "hot"
by polling it at a reduced speed (every 10 seconds). This means you get an instant
fix when opening the compass or GPS windows at the expense of slightly increased
battery drain. There is a GPS icon on the main screen status bar when this is active.
Note: the Bluetooth driver works at full speed in this mode at the moment.
- Added current time and battery level to main screen title. Will add to compass screen
- USA Only, OS 42+. Added support for the TextMarks service (Options --> General).
This adds a "Send SMS" menu option to the field notes list and editor screens.
Note: TextMarks only allows you to only log "Found It" or "Didn't Find It" and comments
are limited to about 140 characters. CacheBerry sets any field note type other than
DNF to "Found It" (you can edit this in your field notes on gc.com later). Long
field notes are truncated to fit the SMS message. You must configure the service
online before using it (http://coord.info/textmarks.aspx).
- Tracking: Added a prompt when exiting the compass while tracking; "Stop Recording"
or "Keep Recording". Shows a footprint icon on the main status bar when tracking
outside the compass, the GPS icon also flashes faster. Main menu gets a "Stop Tracking"
option when active.
- Fixed speed value when using Bluetooth driver (was showing double speed).
- Upgraded "Sort --> By Location --> GPS Location" to use new GPS window (with averaging)
and now supports the Bluetooth driver.
- Faster Sort By Location function. Distance & Bearing columns only visible when sorted
by location now.
- Fixed minor issues with "Options --> Database" (typo and redundant save prompt).
- Now remembers the email dialog settings correctly and the OK button is focused by
- Now remembers the last folder used for the "Import GPX/LOC" function.
- Improved database structure, now uses fewer resources and has room for future expansion.
- Database function now opens a full-screen list of databases with management options
on the menu.
- Database "Save As" function now opens the new database automatically.
- Added changed indicator to database icon on status bar and "Save changes" prompt
when opening a new database (or closing the current database).
- Added "copy to..." function to allow caches to be copied (or moved) between databases.
- Added "View Html..." option to cache details menu, this opens the short & long cache
descriptions in a full-screen browser window, it will work offline (apart from images).
Caches that have HTML content also display "html" and "source" (OS 42+) button on
the details screen, you can click these to open the HTML or the HTML Source views
- Add Waypoint: Fixed double save prompt, incorrect unique name warning and now defaults
location to last GPS fix (if "Fast Start" is enabled) or parent location. Various
other fixes and improvements.
- Manual Location dialog: minor aesthetic fixes plus fixed conversion from Degrees/Minutes
- Added two new columns for display, Cache Size and Difficulty/Terrain. Also, distance
values don't show decimal after 10 km/miles.
- Added error reporting function, if CacheBerry encounters an exception or similar
problem you now have the opportunity to send an error report (including your comments).
- Fixed issue with cache descriptions longer than 64K causing database save problems.
- Fixed issue with "Sort by location" after opening database or importing GPX.
- Find function now waits for you to stop typing (about .5 seconds) before searching.
- Find function now supports '+' and '-' modifiers. Start with '+' to switch to keyword
find instead of prefix. Eg. +open-green would find all titles containing the word
ocean but not the word the green.
- Search menu option now supports multiple keywords with + (default) and - modifiers.
Defaults to last search term.
- Added alternative course calculation option for 8900 users with spinning compass
problem or people with external GPS units that don't report course at walking speed.
The calculation uses the bearing between the last two locations that were at least
3m apart, seems to work about as well as the normal course value from the GPS.
- Added "range select" for tagging, roll while holding shift to tag/untag.
v2.0.6 (23rd May 2009)
- New "Add Waypoint" feature lets you add user-defined waypoints. Currently only "Child"
waypoints are implemented. You can set the Waypoint name (CacheBerry creates a default
name based on the parent name with a unique prefix), the waypoint symbol ("parking",
"stages of a multicache" etc), the location can be set from the GPS or manual entry
and you can edit the date, description and comment. User-defined child-waypoints
can be exported to GSAK with the appropriate GSAK flags set. User waypoint names
are colored red in the main list.
- New GPS Tracking feature. The Compass view now has a "Start Tracking..." option,
this opens a dialog where you can specify a name and folder to save the GPX track
file and set the tracking interval (number of seconds between track-points). If
you pause navigation, the current track-segment is closed and a new one opened when
you resume. Select "Stop Tracking" or close the Compass view to close the current
track file. The GPX 1.1 Track files that CacheBerry produces are compatible with
most software including Google Earth, Garmin MapSource etc.
- Both BlackBerry Maps and Google Maps functions now show child waypoints in addition
to the parent waypoint. You can enable or disable this behaviour via the new "Options
| Maps | Show Child Waypoints" option.
- Improved detection and organization of child waypoints, previously CacheBerry parsed
the list of additional waypoints in the cache description, now it relies on the
fact that child waypoints have the same cache-id apart from the two-character prefix.
CacheBerry also recognizes the GSAK user-defined child waypoint flag. This is another
reason why it is important to use the real GC-name rather than "Smart Name" when
exporting from GSAK to CacheBerry.
- Fixed compass for Pearl Flip users.
- Created a Bluetooth driver for external GPS "pucks", this establishes a direct Bluetooth
connection to the puck and should be faster and more reliable that the default OS
support. There is a new "GPS" section under "Options" where you can select between
"Internal" and "Bluetooth". Note: if you are happy with the way your BT GPS works
now then simply leave this setting at "Internal" and CacheBerry will continue to
use the BB OS JSR- 179 support.
- Improved the "Export GPX" function, now exports all information and preserves GSAK
child-waypoint data. GPX files now validate correctly using the "official" GPX validation
tool per Topografix. Child-waypoints are exported automatically with the parent
cache and there is a new option "User Waypoints Only" to restrict the export to
user-created waypoints. Various minor dialog improvements. Export is now very much
faster, about 20 seconds to export 500 caches and 200 child-waypoints on a 9500.
- Fixed bug with spurious owned count value (red arrow icon on bottom status bar)
where ownerid is not set under Options | General. This icon is now hidden if the
current cache list does not include any caches placed by you.
- Added options under the "Delete" function to delete tagged records and also options
to delete child-waypoints, and field notes.
- Child-waypoints are no-longer included in the "not found" cache counter on the status
- Fixed issue with black-on-black text on the Manual coordinate-entry dialog with
some BlackBerry models.
- Added alternative method of invoking for Google Maps Mobile. ONLY Select this option
if the standard KML method does not work for you (and you have confirmed your APN
settings are correct). This option will only display a single cache. On the Storm
(at least) there is a bug in Google Maps that prevents the zoom buttons from painting
when using this method. To use this mode effectively you should make sure Google
Maps is already displaying a map at the desired zoom level, after invoking GMM you
can still use the zoom buttons by clicking the screen where the buttons would normally
be displayed. "Options | Map Options | Alternative Google API".
- Fixed default click action for Pearl Flip phones, now opens cache on trackball click.
- Fixed bug in "found-cache" count after refresh. CacheBerry now stores the
value, the found-date for a cache (which affects "found" sort order) is established by first searching field notes, then logs and finally setting an early default date if the
element is set to "found geocache".
- Saving tagged caches to a database now includes child-waypoints automatically.
- Greatly improved performance when saving a database, for instance it now takes 6
seconds to write out 500 caches and 200 child-waypoints to a database on the Storm.
- Encrypted storage support. CacheBerry can now import files and open databases from
encrypted storage (eg. SD-Card).
- Added "Memo" type to field notes. Added a new menu option on the "Field Notes" screen,
"Add Memo". A memo is a type of field note you can use for personal note-taking,
working out puzzles or multis etc. "Memo" field notes are not included when you
email or export field notes.
- Fixed multi-touch bug on Storm where it was not possible to tag the top row using
- Tidied up the "Saved Locations" screen and added landscape support for Storm.
- Fixed bug where "Cancel" was ignored when sorting by Saved Location.
- In the main list, the "F" key now switches focus to the "Find" box.
- Added optional mapping of the GSAK "User Flag" to CacheBerry "Tag", items imported
from GSAK with the user flag set can be automatically tagged in CacheBerry, when
exporting to GSAK, tagged records have the user flag set (GSAK GPX extension). Options
| General | Map GSAK User Flag to Tag.
- Child waypoints are now sorted by name.
- Fixed Compass Proximity Alarm so it now works with manually entered destinations.
- Fixed bug causing "null pointer" exception for some new users.
v2.0 (9th April 2009)
IMPORTANT: If you get an upgrade prompt for the module "ZitaFarmSVG"",
please answer "Yes" to proceed.
- Added support for importing multiple GPX and LOC files from Zip files. This has
two major benefits, firstly, if you are on OS 4.5 or better you can now have compressed
Pocket Queries emailed directly to your BlackBerry from gc.com, (a data saving of
70-80%) and it will import both the PQ and the additional-waypoints in one operation,
and second, CacheBerry can now import multiple GPX or LOC files in one operation,
simply Zip them all up (using WinZip for example), copy the zip file to your BlackBerry
(SD-Card, Device Store or use Roxio Media manager) then import the zip file using
the "Import GPX/LOC" function.
- Added support for "child" waypoints. CacheBerry now displays additional waypoints
in a tree format, caches that have child-waypoints (that are present in the cache
list) display an expand (+) button, select the cache then choose "Expand" from the
menu to display child-waypoints which are indented under the "parent"
cache. Choose "Collapse" to hide them again. The parent/child relationship
is constructed during GPX import. Use the "Refresh" main menu function to re-organize
- Increased the rendering speed of the GPS Compass view by a factor of 2 or 3, this
should make the compass much more responsive, especially on OS 4.5 or earlier.
- Added an option to the "Import GPX/LOC " dialog to delete the source file
after import. This is especially nice for emailed Pocket Queries as it then avoids
the annoying "Rename" prompt from the Mail application every time you
download a Pocket Query.
- Fixed browser launching issues on some devices.
- Fixed issue on some Storms where CacheBerry crashes with "Layout requested during
- Fixed LOC import bugs, now imports the "GC" name correctly and the "Merge"
function works properly.
- Added "Zip Attachment" option to "Email Field Notes" function.
This option zips the fieldnotes.txt file and attaches the zip file to the email,
it is hoped that this change may assist some people currently having problems emailing
the field notes.
- Added "Start Test" (and "Stop Test") functions to the compass
menu, this function allows you to benchmark the compass display, the frame render-time
is shown in milliseconds as the compass displays random values. Intended to support
users developing or modifying SVG themes for the compass.
v1.99.94 BETA (21st March 2009)
The big news in this release is the new GPS Compass view but there are small improvements
in many other areas.
CacheBerry is now available in 4 flavours:
- OS 4.1, for OS 4.1 only.
- OS 4.2+, for OS 4.2, OS 4.3, OS 4.5 and OS 4.6 with no GPS functionality
- OS 4.2+ GPS, for OS 4.2, OS 4.3, OS 4.5 and OS 4.6 with GPS functionality including
- OS 4.7, for the BlackBerry Storm with GPS functionality including geocaching compass.
- (OS 4.2+ GPS, OS 4.7) Added full-featured geocaching "Compass View" which works
with internal GPS or Bluetooth Puck. Uses SVG graphics and supports user-defined
themes (see forum for more details).
Note: Verizon currently locks out the GPS for all models except the Storm, if you
have another model on Verizon you would need to use an external Bluetooth GPS puck.
If you Have OS 4.2 or better but no GPS you should install the standard OS 4.2+
build to avoid the extra overhead of the GPS functions.
The Compass View has many options including a user-definable proximity alarm, orientation
lock on the Storm, Backlight lock, Nearest Cache search and geocaching.com online
search using current location, access cache details and hints directly from the
If using the Internal GPS be patient when you first open the Compass view as the
GPS can take up to a minute or longer to obtain a "cold" fix. Subsequent
fixes should be within 15 seconds.
- Added "Weather.." function to details screen, this will open a current conditions
and forecast page for the selected cache location via the popular "Weather Underground"
- Fixed Log Date timezone conversion issue.
- (OS 4.7) Fixed screen height issue when switching orientation, also fixed numerous
other UI and touch issues.
- (OS 4.7) Added "Multi-Touch" tagging to main screen, you can now tag caches by touching
2 rows at once (or touching the same row in 2 different places for individual caches).
- (OS 4.2+, OS 4.2+ GPS, OS 4.7). Added support for device store in addition to SD-Card
to various functions.
- (OS 4.2+, OS 4/2+ GPS, OS 4.7) Fixed issue with GPX export when exporting multiple
- (OS 4.2+, OS 4.2+ GPS, OS 4.7) Added option to specify device store or SD Card as
location for databases.
- Now restores sort order after loading GPX or LOC files.
- (OS 4.2+, OS 4.2+ GPS, OS 4.7) Fixed issues with loading column layout from databases.
- (OS 4.2+,OS 4.2+ GPS, OS 4.7) Improved the Field Notes export options.
- Fixed issues with "Found Cache" count on status bar. Use the "Refresh" function
to fix any existing issues.
- Improved browser support, can now invoke browser on many devices where it was not
- Added "Save Changes" prompt to Options.
- Now displays trailing zeros on Coordinates.
- Now defaults Field Notes email (and export) date to date of first Field Note.
- Added geocaching.com "Owner ID " lookup function to Options ' General.
v1.99 BETA (7th February 2009)
- In addition to the changes listed below this version also introduces a new version
of CacheBerry which is specially optimized for the 95xx BlackBerry Storm.
- Improved incremental find function, now has "Find:" box at top of screen,
now supports SureType and also Virtual Keyboard support on Storm. By default it
searches on title.
Keyboard Shortcuts (while list has focus):
Type F to jump to find field
Type G to jump to find field and switch search mode to GC Number
Any other key (apart from standard navigation keys) will jump to find field and
Note: When using SureType, if you accept a suggestion it will place a trailing space
after the word so you may need to hit DEL once to get the desired search result.
On the Storm, the Virtual Keyboard will display whenever the find field has focus,
touch the list to hide the keyboard (click the list to open a cache). Click the
find field to show keyboard and start searching.
- Fixed "Found" count bugs (count reducing etc).
- Fixed date/time bug in field notes, the timestamp in the FieldNotes text file is
now correctly converted to UTC from your timezone.
- "Attended" is now treated as "Found" for filtering, Found icon
and Found count.
- Now asks for confirmation before deleting Field Notes.
- Database "Open" function now recalculates found count and adjusts found icons.
- Refresh function now recalculates found count and adjusts found icons if necessary.
- The OS 4.2+ version now checks for SD card on the fly to avoid issues such as opening
CacheBerry when connected in Mass Storage mode.
- New field notes now default to "Found It!" for quicker logging, if you
create a "new Found It!" field note and save it without entering text,
the text will be automatically set to "TFTC".
- Changed unit option "Imperial (feet/miles)" to display tenths of miles
down to 0.1 miles, below that it displays in feet.
- Saved Locations list is now sorted by location name.
- Added new "Preserve Columns on Sort" option (Options - General). This
prevents CacheBerry from changing the visible columns according to Sort criteria
(eg. If this setting is NOT checked and you sort by location CacheBerry will add
the distance and bearing columns to the display, Sort by Found will add the "Found"
column and so on).
- CacheBerry now restores the previous sort order after loading a GPX file (via USB,
import from SD card or web download).
- Added LOC support. You can now load .LOC files direct from a web page or from the
SD Card/Device Store (via "Import GPX/LOC"). NOTE : LOC files do not contain
any Geocaching information apart from name, coordinates and the geocaching.com URL
for the waypoint. This feature is mainly intended to support Benchmarks. Items imported
from LOC files do work with the Website, Google Maps and BlackBerry maps functions
and you can add Field Notes to them. Benchmarks will display a benchmark icon, geocaches
will display the "unknown cache type" (?) icon.
- Added "Export GPX" function. CacheBerry will export all caches (or just
tagged caches) to a GPX file located on your SD Card or device store. One obvious
use for this (until the compass view is released for CacheBerry) is to export one
or more caches from CacheBerry then import them into a compass application like
- Fixed GPS Location bug which prevented "Sort | By Location| GPS Location"
function from getting a fix on some devices.
- Improved Registration dialog (you can now copy and paste the registration information).
- Added vertical scrolling and default menus to all popup windows (especially useful
for Storm Virtual Keyboard).
- Added support for Device Store to all functions which previously required an SD
- Added new "Database" section to options, currently allows you to specify
whether the databases are stored on the Media Card or in Device Store.
v1.98 BETA (25th November 2008)
- Memos have been replaced with Field Notes. You can enter as many field notes as
you like for each cache, field notes have a "Type" (any of the geocaching.com "Type
of Log" options), a date and text.
- The "Edit Memo.." option has been replaced by a new "Field Notes..."
option, this option has also been added to the main menu for quick access (can be
removed via Options | Main Menu).
- The new "Field Notes" screen is similar in appearance to the BlackBerry email screen
with field notes grouped by date (descending - most recent first) and sorted by
descending time. You can add, export, edit or delete field notes from this screen.
- Once entered, Field notes are retained permanently so they are always available
when importing different GPX files or switching between databases.
- The Email function now includes any field notes from the specified date (not just
"Found" logs). The entries include the new type information.
- The Email function now has an option to attach a field notes text file that can
be uploaded directly to geocaching.com (Save the attached file then browse to the
geocaching.com "Field Notes" page and select the option "Upload
Field Notes from your Garmin Colorado"). "Field Notes" is a great new geocaching.com
feature which allows you to log visits with just a couple of clicks.
NOTE: When you select "Attach Field Notes" the email is sent via the
direct method (ie. sends immediately - bypassing the "Compose" screen).
- The Email entries are now grouped by cache and sorted by ascending date (oldest
first), the Field Notes text files are sorted by ascending date.
- The "Field Notes" screen has an "Export..." option (OS 4.2+) which allows
you to export all field notes from a specified date to a text file on your SD-card
(in the folder CacheBerry\Field Notes), this file can be uploaded to geocaching.com
from your desktop as described above.
- Added Refresh option to main menu, this resorts and redisplays the caches. This
function is there as a convenience in case something goes wrong, you can hide it
via Options | Main Menu.
v1.96/1.97 BETA (25th August 2008)
- New incremental find feature filters cache list as you type. It will find on "GC
Number" or title regardless of current sort order or column layout. Normal
BlackBerry navigation shortcuts still work, if you type any character other than
a shortcut CacheBerry enters "GC" find mode, the status bar displays
the current search key and the list is filtered to show caches with matching GC
numbers. If you hold SHIFT and type any key (other than SPACE) CacheBerry enters
"Title" find mode, again the status bar displays the search key as you
type and the cache list is filtered to show matching titles. To exit either incremental
find mode hit DEL until you have deleted the current search key, then once more
- New improved Options screens with plenty of room for future expansion.
- Added a second imperial unit setting "miles and feet " (Options| Units).
- Added "Always decrypt hints" option (Options | General).
- Added "Direct Email" option, this option will skip the compose screen
when emailing found caches, this is especially handy for devices such as the 8703e
where the normal email function does not work due to a bug in the OS. (Options |
- Added "Main Menu" configuration, this allows you to customize the main
menu by hiding items you don"t use. (Options | Main Menu).
- Fixed display issue on main screen and status bar, no longer clips icons when small
font is used.
v1.95 BETA (12th August 2008)
- (OS 4.2/4.3/4.5) Added database feature. You can now save and load multiple named
databases on your SD-Card via the "Databases..." menu option. You can
choose to save all listings or just tagged caches. Databases are a (somewhat) faster-loading
binary format, they include column configuration, current sort order and tagged
items. Note the option only appears on the menu if you actually have a media card
- Added status bar, currently shows count of found and unfound caches plus current
database if applicable (see above).
- Backlight now stays on during GPX import.
- Removed redundant prompt when saving memo.
v1.94 BETA (2nd August 2008)
- Added Tagging feature. You can now "tag" multiple records using the "Tag"
menu option (or SHIFT-Click for supported devices). Also new "Clear Tags"
menu option. Tagged items display with a blue background (unless new "Tagged
Items" filter is in effect).
- Added ability to display multiple "tagged" caches on Google Maps via
new main menu "Google Maps" option.
- Added ability to show multiple caches on BlackBerry Maps for OS 4.2+ via new main
menu "BlackBerry Maps" option.
- Added "Tagged Items" filter which filters display to only show tagged
- Added title-bar icons for Sort and Filter. These icons show when a Sort order other
than the default "Name" order is in effect and when filtering criteria
(currently "Hide Found" or "Tagged Items") are in effect.
v1.93 BETA (26th July 2008)
- This build fixes a problem that was introduced with the recent Geocaching.com website
upgrade. The new website changed the MIME type for GPX files which meant the CacheBerry
browser plugin was unable load GPX files via the "GPX Exchange File" button on the
cache listing pages.
v1.92 BETA (19th July 2008)
- Fixed reversed Merge/Replace GPX functions in ALX installers.
- Fixed "Connection Handler" error in Google Maps function.
- Sorts on name and title are now case-insensitive.
- Improved Travel Bug inventory function, now has menu with "Website.."
and "Copy URL" functions and inventory now supports standard navigation
v1.90 BETA (16th June 2008)
- Download GPX from the Web. Added BlackBerry browser plugin to handle GPX files from
the Web. This means you can now download GPX files from Geocaching.com or other
sites directly into CacheBerry.
- Refresh existing cache listings (click Website... from details menu then click the
"GPX eXchange file" button to import the latest details and logs).
- Load new caches from Geocaching.com email notifications (move the cursor to the
cache URL in the email and click "Get Link" from the menu then click
the "GPX eXchange file" button on the webpage).
- Added "Copy URL" menu option to details view. This will copy the full
geocaching.com URL for the cache to the BlackBerry clipboard.
- Minor bug fixes.
v1.5 RELEASE (1st June 2008)
- Added additional log type icons
- Fixed Pearl navigation key issue
- Added save changes prompt to Memo screen
- Fixed found date editing issue
- Corrected page up/page down behavior on main screen
v1.11 BETA (27th May 2008)
- Added "Copy Location" option to Details screen menu. This copies the Cache coordinates
to the BlackBerry clipboard as a formatted string suitable for manual Google Mapsearches
or pasting into memos, emails etc.
- Added "Copy Location" option to "Saved Locations" screen (see 1. above).
- Added Main Screen Navigation keys for Pearl users, in addition to T, B, Space and
Shift-Space you can now use 1 (top), 7 (bottom), 3 (page up), 9 (page down).
- Added 1/T, 7/B, 9/Space and 3/Shift-Space shortcuts to "Details" and "Logs" screens
- Changed "Columns" dialog to vertical scrolling layout for Pearl users.
- Changed distance display to fixed-space font and right justified in column.
v1.09 BETA (25th May 2008)
- Fixed issue causing BlackBerry Maps to fail when attempting to display certain caches.
v1.08 BETA (24th May 2008)
- Added "BlackBerry Maps..." menu option to details screen, this will open the cache
in BlackBerry Maps (BB Maps shows it as a marker with the Cache Name/GC Number,
use the Details option from the BB Maps menu to view the cache title)
- Made some minor changes to allow Options and Find dialog content to scroll vertically
for Pearl users.
v1.07 BETA (23rd May 2008)
- Added "Show on Google Maps" function. The "Details" screen
menu now has a "Google Maps..." option which will display the cache in
the Google Maps Mobile application.
NOTE: you must have Google Maps Mobile 2.1.0 or better (http://mobile.google.com),
older versions had a bug which would hang the phone if you attempted to invoke Google
Maps without having previously opened it (eg. immediately after a reboot etc).
- Fixed a problem with the Delete function, it would only work if the current sort
order was "By Name". Now works correctly regardless of sort order.
v1.06 BETA (22nd May 2008)
- Added "Owner" flag. CacheBerry can now display a red arrow in the found column if
you are the cache owner. Owned caches are hidden by the "Hide Found Items" filter.
In order to identify owned caches, CacheBerry needs to know your Geocaching.com
"Owner ID" which is a number that Geocaching.com assigns every account. You can
find this number by examining a GPX listing for a cache you have hidden, otherwise
CacheBerry can attempt to locate it for you.
To support this feature there is a new "Owner ID" field on the CacheBerry Options
dialog, enter your numeric ID if you know it, otherwise you can enter your geocaching.com
user-name and CacheBerry will search the current cache listings to find the corresponding
"Owner ID". This setting is optional, if you do not enter this value (or if CacheBerry
cannot find a match for your user name) the owner flag will not be displayed but
CacheBerry will otherwise function normally.
- Improved operation for BlackBerry models that do not have a dedicated menu key (eg.
8700 and earlier). Clicking the TrackWheel in the main screen now displays a standard
short menu (including "Full menu" option) for these devices.
- All popup dialogs can now be closed with the Escape key.
v1.05 BETA (18th May 2008)
- Added "Logs" column. You can now view the icons of the last 3 logs on
the main screen using the new "Logs" column (menu | Columns...). This
provides a quick indication of the current status of a Geocache, 3 smileys means
it"s probably ok whereas other icons such as "Did Not Find" would
indicate you should read the logs before making a special trip!
- Added Named Locations. CacheBerry can now save an unlimited number of named locations
to use with the "Sort" function. The GPS and Manual coordinate dialogs
now include a "Save" button, clicking this will prompt for a name then
save the location for future use. When you select Menu | Sort | Sort by Location
| Saved Location you now see a list of saved locations, select one of these to initiate
the sort. The menu on this screen allows you to delete saved locations, I"ll
be adding additional management features in a future release.
- Added delete function. The main CacheBerry menu now includes a "Delete..."
option to delete a Geocache. I will be adding the ability to remember and skip deleted
caches during GPX import in a future release.
- Added "Hide Found Items" filter. The main CacheBerry menu now includes
a "Filter..." option. This will be developed further into a flexible
filtering system but for this release you can choose to hide "Found" items.
- Now imports "Found" flag. CacheBerry now sets the "Found"
flag for caches marked as found in the GPX file. The "Found Date" is
set to the current date and time as this information is not available in the Geocaching.com
- Fixed vertical scrolling issue on "Import GPX" dialog.
- Improved the manual coordinate entry field behavior.
v1.04 BETA (5th May 2008)
- Improved browser launch code
- Changed GPS location dialog to prevent "Acquiring" message overwriting
coordinates on some devices
v1.03 BETA (30th April 2008)
- Fixed manual entry of location in deg-min mode where latitude was zero.
v1.02 BETA (28th April 2008)
- Added "Cancel" button to the USB Receive Dialog, avoids having to do a
battery reset if the transfer does not succeed for some reason.
- Fixed crash when clicking trackball/wheel on blank screen, now opens menu.
- Fixed all other crashes arising from empty database
- Added "Select" menu item to top of main menu, this standard option will
open the selected cache.
- Added confirmation dialog when selecting Replace Existing Data for GPX
import (USB only in this build).
- Manual Location Entry. Fixed issue (entry ignored) when entering single digit minute
- Added support for additional waypoints . CacheBerry will now import the "-wpts"
file that accompanies Pocket Queries. Will also import GPX files from other programs
that do not contain Groundspeak® data.
- Added "Website..." option to listing details menu, this will open the
Geocaching.com page for the cache in the default BB browser.
- Changed Find Search Title option to Search Title & Name, this
will now find matches in the waypoint name (eg. You can find on the "GC number".
This is in addition to the incremental search for GC number on the main screen.
- Adjusted GPS location dialog to avoid spurious "Acquiring.." messages